It can be frightening and painful to watch a loved one experience memory lapses, behavioral changes and the inevitable functional decline brought on by dementia. The Sun Health Memory Care Navigator is someone you can depend on to share knowledge about dementia and available community resources. The Navigator helps minimize the stress of supporting a loved one with this chronic disease.
This program, offered at no charge thanks to the generous funding of the Sun Health Foundation, provides personal and professional guidance for patients, family members and care givers coping with the emotional, psychological and physical effects of dementia. The Navigator prepares an individualized plan of care tailored to each patient’s needs and serves as a liaison between patients and families, their physicians, and ancillary community services.
WHAT WILL MY NAVIGATOR DO?
The Memory Care Navigator program is a valuable resource to patients, family members and caregivers and provides the following services:
- Assessment of the needs of the patient and family through a confidential consultation
- Development of a personalized plan of care with the patient and family that address and supports the patient’s health and health related needs
- Link patients and family members to education, support groups and assistive services in the West Valley
- Be an ongoing resource for families and caregivers as new challenges arise through different stages of dementia
- Education of patients and families about available local clinical trials that can then be discussed with a physician
- Collaborate with and communicate recommendations to each patient’s physician
- Refer patients to a Sun Health nurse care manager when necessary to help address multiple or chronic medical conditions, which are often complicated by the dementia